Taking on a dedicated role with Safe Harbor is fun and rewarding. It doesn’t pay in dollars–we’re an all volunteer organization, but the payment in knowing you are making a difference, following your passion and saving lives is priceless.
To start volunteering we ask that you be ready to commit. A Safe Harbor Volunteer Should:
- Be 14 years old or older (youth under the age of 18 will need their parent or legal guardian to sign a permission slip and liability waiver).
- Be willing to commit to a minimum of 1 shift 2 hours in length once per week
- A commitment to volunteer for at least 6 months.
- Be willing to read our volunteer handbook, sign an acknowledgment to agree to our policies, and sign a liability waiver
- Must NOT have a history of animal or child abuse or neglect
What can you expect? When you apply to volunteer your application will be reviewed and you will be responded to in email or by phone by the appropriate shift leader. During this phone call the shift leader will sign you up for a small group orientation at one of our many foster farms.
During orientation you will purchase a volunteer shirt ($10 cost) that you can wear during your volunteer shifts and to events. You are welcome to purchase more than one shirt, but we do ask all volunteers to have one shirt so they can be identified as a volunteer when we hold events. You will also sign up for your schedule for your six month volunteer commitment. Most volunteers stay with Safe Harbor for far longer than six months. We ask for the six month commitment as our shift leaders are all volunteers and it helps to balance everyone’s time and energy in regard to training.