Safe Harbor Success Story!
** Adopted November 30, 2020 **
Naomi is a 6 year old Spotted Saddle Horse mare. She and her filly Wynonna were rescued by a long-time Safe Harbor supporter who noticed them on along a rural road in a county were animal control doesn’t exist. After a brief negotiation with their owner, who indicated they were bound for a local sale, they became Safe Harbor horses.
Naomi is a friendly, easygoing mare. She leads, loads in a horse trailer, stands tied and is good for routine handling. She stands 14.2 hands and is regularly handled by pre-teen boys in her foster home.
As of November 14, we are clearing Naomi for adoption. She will need a light tune-up, as she has not been ridden in at least 7-8 months (see above: foaling and neglect). She seems to be advanced-beginner safe and will likely be good for a child with some riding experience who wants to go on trails with family – or a smaller adult who wants a smooth and dependable ride. She rides out in the wide world with no spook or buck. Her foster mom reports that she seems to be started in neck reining, but she doesn’t fully ride with one hand at this time. She should be a really fun “project” for someone to finish in this skill!
As with all Safe Harbor horses, Naomi is up-to-date on vaccinations, Coggins, deworming and farrier. She had a dental and chiropractic check at her intake with no problems reported at that time.
Things to know about our process:
- We adopt within 200 miles of zip code 37048, Cottontown TN, with a few exceptions.
- We require an in-person meeting to ensure an appropriate match between horse and rider.
- You must go through our approval process, including submitting references, prior to meeting the horse or ‘test rides’ – this is out of respect for everyone’s time including our volunteers and foster farms. Providing complete and accurate information helps us process your application faster.
- Applications are processed on a first come, first served basis.
- Horses are up to date on routine care including vaccinations and Coggins, and complementary therapies if we feel they are needed (IE massage, chiropractic, MagnaWave, acupuncture, etc.)
- PPE’s from adopter’s veterinarian are always welcome. We will work with you but do ask that vetting is done within 7 days of committing to adopt out of respect for everyone’s time.
- Our adoption agreement is a lifetime safety net with no breeding, no auction, no slaughter terms. We will always take back or assist with re-homing any Safe Harbor adoptee.