Sadie is a 19 year old off-track thoroughbred mare who recently returned to Safe Harbor.
She was originally adopted in 2016, making her one of our first After the Track horses. When her adopter was diagnosed with a life-changing illness and was forced to move more than an hour from her horses, she reached out under our lifetime safety net and asked if Sadie could come back. (Of course, we were happy to say yes!)
Sadie is trained as a hunter and has been shown in local shows. We are currently treating her for a urinary tract infection and some weight loss that occurred as a result of a boarding facility not equipped to properly care for thoroughbreds.
Sadie will be adoptable later this fall when cleared by our vet. View her racing stats on Equibase here.
Things to know about our process:
- We adopt within 200 miles of zip code 37048, Cottontown TN, with a few exceptions.
- We require an in-person meeting to ensure an appropriate match between horse and rider.
- You must go through our approval process, including submitting references, prior to meeting the horse or ‘test rides’ – this is out of respect for everyone’s time including our volunteers and foster farms. Providing complete and accurate information helps us process your application faster.
- Horses are up to date on routine care including vaccinations and Coggins, and complementary therapies if we feel they are needed (IE massage, chiropractic, MagnaWave, acupuncture, etc.)
- PPE’s from adopter’s veterinarian are always welcome. We will work with you but do ask that vetting is done within 7 days of committing to adopt out of respect for everyone’s time.
- Our adoption agreement is a lifetime safety net with no breeding, no auction, no slaughter terms. We will always take back or assist with re-homing any Safe Harbor adoptee.