Lakota is a 17-18 year old paint gelding standing a stocky 14.2 hands. He is suitable for an intermediate rider looking for a trail partner.
Lakota has a long history with Safe Harbor. He was one of the first horses adopted by the organization, more than 5 years ago. He was never neglected, but rather, came to Safe Harbor through a boarding barn when his owner passed away. Therefore, much of his first 12 years is a mystery – we suspect he was likely registered and possibly shown as a young horse. For example, he clips without a twitch or really needing to be tied, and he stands in the cross ties quietly. He bathes, fly sprays and loves interaction with people.
When originally in rescue, one of the volunteer trainers did some Monty Roberts style ground work with him and rode him a few times, rating him as a green horse. He was adopted by someone with the intentions of him being a therapy horse and riding horse. Our team at the time followed up for some time, but then follow ups from both parties stopped. The adopter changed jobs and left the state, never notifying us; Lakota ended up at auction.
So now we have a horse in is late teens with the education of a much younger horse who additionally endured the hellish experience of being run through an auction. He doesn’t have fancy buttons, but he does love people and try hard to do what you want. He direct reins and gets lighter and more responsive the more he’s worked, which either means he knew these cues long ago – or he’s a very quick learner. He would be best suited to an adult rider who wants to trail ride and perhaps show halter and showmanship at local shows. We can see him being a good partner to get out and check fence and get together with friends for a weekend trail ride. He does not currently have a head set or carry himself in any sort of frame to go into other show classes (though he could learn), nor does he seem to have the desire to go fast for speed events.
Lakota is sound with clean legs. He is on the easier keeper side, so he will likely need to be restricted from rich pasture spring and fall. He is currently barefoot, UTD on vaccinations, deworming, and has a current negative Coggins. He is 6-panel negative, has been adjusted by the chiropractor and is on 24/7 turnout with shelter.
We are offering two options for adoption. If you are confident in your riding abilities, have a quiet hand and are ready to work with a horse meeting Lakota’s description, you can take him home as he stands for $1250.
If you’d like him to spend another couple of weeks with our trainer and take a couple of lessons on him to help ensure it’s the right fit for you, his adoption fee will be $1500.
Fill out our adoption application to start the process today!
Things to know about our process:
- We adopt within 200 miles of zip code 37048, Cottontown TN, with a few exceptions.
- We require an in-person meeting to ensure an appropriate match between horse and rider.
- You must go through our approval process, including submitting references, prior to meeting the horse or ‘test rides’ – this is out of respect for everyone’s time including our volunteers and foster farms. Providing complete and accurate information helps us process your application faster.
- Horses are up to date on routine care including vaccinations and Coggins, and complementary therapies if our team feels they are needed (IE massage, chiropractic, MagnaWave, acupuncture, etc.)
- PPE’s from adopter’s veterinarian are always welcome. We will work with you but do ask that vetting is done within 7 days of committing to adopt out of respect for everyone’s time.
- Our adoption agreement is a lifetime safety net with no breeding, no auction, no slaughter terms. We will always take back or assist with re-homing any Safe Harbor adoptee.