Doneraile Lass (“Tully”) is a 14 year old, 15.3hh, Ontario-bred, off the track thoroughbred mare with multiple careers behind her. She raced 26 times, but despite her impeccable pedigree, she was not a very good racehorse. She went on to the broodmare fields, but a torn cervix ended that career early. She was re-started under saddle by a competent trainer, and has a dressage/hunter foundation. Her most recent rider was a very experienced 13 year old girl. We have reports from past owners that she jumps and has a lead change. You can visit our Facebook page to follow her complete journey. Tully joined our After the Track program for retired racehorses to find a safe forever.
Tully’s best match would be an older teen or adult rider who has a confident, quiet manner on the ground. She is not a “family” horse, but needs the consistency of the same handler to keep her in a routine and bond with her.
Tully is easy to catch in the field, lives outdoors 24/7, and is the bottom of the pecking order.
Of note: She requires front shoes due to an old injury to her coronary band on the left front foot. She does require sedation for the farrier and she can be quirky in the cross ties (will straight-tie fine.) Her withers were broken at some point in her past, possibly while she was on the track – this does not bother her but bears noting that saddle fit and rider weight will be considerations for her long-term comfort and soundness. She was diagnosed with a bout of uveitis by a veterinary ophthalmologist in Virginia (vet report in hand.) While she does appear to be mostly blind in her right eye, you would not know this when taking her on a casual hack around the farm or popping over cross rails.
We feel that Tully would be best suited to someone who will ride several times a week, potentially wants to show hunters or dressage, but enjoys having a horse that isn’t limited to arena work. We are accepting applications for Tully seeking her perfect-match forever human. We have set her fee at $2,000.
Things to know about our process:
- We adopt within 200 miles of zip code 37048, Cottontown TN, with a few exceptions.
- We require an in-person meeting to ensure an appropriate match between horse and rider.
- You must go through our approval process, including submitting references, prior to meeting the horse or ‘test rides’ – this is out of respect for everyone’s time including our volunteers and foster farms. Providing complete and accurate information helps us process your application faster.
- Horses are up to date on routine care including vaccinations and Coggins, and complementary therapies if we feel they are needed (IE massage, chiropractic, MagnaWave, acupuncture, etc.)
- PPE’s from adopter’s veterinarian are always welcome. We will work with you but do ask that vetting is done within 7 days of committing to adopt out of respect for everyone’s time.
- Our adoption agreement is a lifetime safety net with no breeding, no auction, no slaughter terms. We will always take back or assist with re-homing any Safe Harbor adoptee.